Ken holds an MBA from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland, which he obtained in 1996. Prior to that, he earned a Diploma in Banking and Finance from the Malaysian Institute of Bankers, as well as a basic high school education in English. He speaks Bahasa Malaysia fluently, owing to the influence of the Straits Born Chinese on his maternal side.
He began his career in the retail product segment, having worked for both foreign and domestic banks. He gained experience in branch operations, banking operations, including the payment system, product development, and credit portfolio management. Before entering the training arena, Ken had 30 years of banking experience in 5 of the country’s leading banks.
He spent the last seven years of his banking career in a bank’s training department, where he specialised in soft skills and team building. Over the years, he has honed his knowledge and skills in the area of teaching/facilitating younger groups, particularly those new to the working world (new staff) and university students.
An excellent and engaging speaker, his sessions are highly vigorous and use the most up-to-date adult learning methodology in an unconventional manner.
Ken has completed the full Training and Assessment certification from the Australian body (AWBT – Australian Wide Business Training), which has properly equipped him with the skills and competencies of a trainer.
One of the main strengths is the ability to conduct coaching sessions using negotiation and conflict resolution methods, both for in-house programmes and personal one-on-one coaching.
He is a highly motivated individual with an upbeat and friendly demeanour. He loves being outside and travels extensively. He keeps himself up to date at all times and enjoys reading in his spare time.
- From 1996 to 2004, Ken was heavily involved in the explanation tutorial programmes actively administered by the Institute of Bankers Malaysia. He tutored Malaysian Financial System, Economics, Management Principles, Hire Purchase, and Marketing Principles. His technical skills have greatly improved as a result of this exposure.
- He wrote an examination manual titled Introduction to Monetary Economics and the Malaysian Financial System for the Institute Bankers Malaysia (1999-2000).
- Since 1997, he has trained over 2000 students in local institutions (diploma and degree programmes), providing a platform for interaction and in-depth understanding of the younger generation.
- He worked with many younger groups in outdoor boot camps and team building programmes from 2009 to 2011, helping them gain confidence and motivation.
His training career highlights
- Exposure in training participants on other ASEAN countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore.
- Certified trainer for 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
- NLP Practitioner and NLP Coach Certificate.
- Staff development boot camps with leadership and motivational aspects, coupled with elements of team building.
- Non-conventional learning methodology like quizzes and treasure hunt.
- Experience conducting seminar and facilitating program via online learning.
Ken’s overall strength is in developing and facilitating soft skills programmes, such as
- Basic and advance management skills
- Service and Communication
- NLP Communication
- NLP Coaching
- Credit, Collections and Recovery Programs
- Outdoor and indoor teambuilding
- Extreme outdoor team building (Outward Bound School)
- Creativity workshops
- Culture and organization Change
- Motivation and Leadership
- Coaching workshops (for the electronics industry and financial industry)
- One to one coaching
- Service Transformation Programs
- Negotiation Skills
- Conflict Management
- Mentoring Programs
- Motivation Talks and Seminars
- Sales Seminars